Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Best -- and the Worst -- of Travelling

This is going to be short, because I am so tired I can barely keep my eyes open.  It's early by Buenos Aires standards -- barely 1 a.m. -- but hey, I don't operate according to anyone else's schedule but my own these days.  And I had a long travel day, gettimg up early to catch a ferry to Colonia, Uruguay and getting back tonight.

Tonight reminded me of the thing I love most about travelling (well, one of the things -- there are many) -- the opportunity to meet and hang out with some very cool people from scattered places all over the globe.  It also reminded me about the thing I like least about travelling -- the fact that you have to say good-bye to those same people when you move on to somewhere new.  I'm catching a night bus to Mendoza tomorrow, so will be saying good-bye to Buenos Aires tomorrow afternoon.

Email, and Facebook especially, have made it so much easier to stay in touch with people that you meet casually, randomly. briefly ... but still are people that have touched you closely and that you wish to keep in your life in some way.  So I'm glad that technology has made it simpler ... but I still might prefer to keep those people with me, physically, for a few more days at least.

Since that's not going to happen, I'll take what I can.  And, at least, I get a few more free places to crash around the globe .. and perhaps a few more houseguests in Toronto at some point in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment